Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Deep Frying a Surprise

Tonight I didn't get to sew but instead I tried a new recipe as a way of surprising my husband. I knew he liked Caramel/Apple Empanadas, and we had never made them before so I tried my hand at it. I made some deviations from the recipe I found online... here are photos from my experiment. If you want the actual recipe ask and I will post it.

First, I made the dough and refrigerated it and then I started cooking the apples and caramel sauce....



Then I rolled out the dough and cut circles.... here is my secret replacement ingredient for the carmel part... ice cream topping!


Then I placed spoonfulls of sweet apple goodness into the little dough circles...



Next I crimped them shut and they were ready to chill for 3 hours....



Then after supper later... we dropped them in the fry daddy for 6 minutes and then after sprinkling a bit too liberally with powdered sugar... done!





And finally... mmmmm.




Next time- thinner dough and more caramel!!! Still pretty good.

Tommorrow, back to our regularly scheduled quilting blog!!! heheee.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm...looks yummy!
    Love your work and your blog design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!
    We call them Apple Turnovers here...
    Yours look yummy to me!
    Julia ♥

    ReplyDelete